Cocoa Mulch.....a word of warning

Go down

Cocoa Mulch.....a word of warning

Post  Admin on Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:10 pm

This was sent to us by Elaine with Bran, the Standard Poodle.

Please read and be aware............................

This message came to us from Ali Taylor, Head of Welfare at Battersea Dogs Home:

Yesterday one of our dog agility friends experienced a tragedy and wanted me to pass a special message along to all my dog loving friends and family. Please tell every dog owner you know.

Over the weekend the doting owners of two young Labrador crosses purchased Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their garden. It smelled lovely and was advertised as helping to keep cats away from the garden.

Their dog Calypso decided that the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn't acting lethargic in any way. The next day, Mum woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk. Half way through the walk Calypso had a seizure and died instantly.

The mulch had NO warnings printed on the label or packaging but upon further investigation on the company's website, a notice was found saying this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and cats.

Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that "it is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can
suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it."

Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other garden supply stores, contains a lethal ingredient called theobromine, which is also present in chocolate. Theobromine is lethal to dogs and cats.

The cocoa mulch smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. Ingesting this stuff means a dog has little chance of survival and will most likely die.

Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.

Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks. Just a word of caution - check what you are using in your gardens and be aware of what your gardeners are using in your gardens!
This e-mail is confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient and you have received this e-mail in error then any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited and you should contact the sender by e-mail return and then delete all the material from your system. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Greyhound Rescue West of England or its Trustees. We have taken precautions to minimise the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise that you carry out your own checks on any attachments to this message. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses.

Greyhound Rescue West of England is a registered Charity No. 1056676.

Thanks for your time....... and take care of your dogs

Best Wishes

Team Admin
avatar
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 233
Location : Nottinghamshire
Registration date : 2008-05-15

View user profile http://yewtreecanine.aforumfree.com

Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum